The Public Sector Equality Duty 2011 has three aims under the general duty for Schools,
Academies and Settings:
1. Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act. By removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
2. Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not. By taking steps to meet the needs of people from protected groups where these are different from the needs of other people.
3. Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not. By encouraging people from protected groups to participate in public life or in other activities where their participation is disproportionately low.
Barrow CEVC Primary School has considered how well we currently achieve these aims with regard to the eight protected equality groups: race/disability/sex/gender reassignment/age/pregnancy and maternity/religion and belief and sexual orientation.
In compiling this equality information we have:
- Identified evidence already in the setting of equality within policies and practice and identified gaps.
- Examined how our setting engages with the protected groups, identifying where practice could be improved.
By the end of the 2020/21 academic year we will aim to meet the following objectives:
Objective 1: Train all members of staff and governors involved in recruitment on equal opportunities and non-discrimination. Training evaluation data will show that 100% of those attending have a good understanding of the legal requirements. Actions: - Keep a central record of staff and governors who have attended appropriate training - Arrange for staff and governors to attend Safer Recruitment training where needed - Train school staff on responding to Prejudice Related Incidents.
Objective 2: Undertake an analysis of recruitment data and trends with regard to race, gender and disability by July, and report on this to the Resources and Finance subcommittee of the governing board.
- Headteacher and school Bursar to carry out analysis of historical recruitment data, searching for trends over the last 3 years.
- HT to complete report for submission to governors.
- Report to inform objectives set for academic year 2020/21.